Friday, October 31, 2008

Dog Bites Man

Yes, I know that like all men, all politicians have a disposition towards mendacity. But John McCain excels supremely at the practice even by politicians' standards. I really don't think he's capable of opening his mouth without just making shit up. Here he goes again today:

“My opponent is working out the details with speaker Pelosi and Senator Reid to raise your taxes, increase spending and concede defeat in Iraq. He’s measuring the drapes. And as you noticed, the night before last, he gave his first address to the nation before the election. And this week he settled on a chief of staff!’’

The RNC also has made a similar statement, based on this blurb. So, yeah. Anonymous sources have said that "Obama's campaign has approached Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel about possibly serving as White House chief of staff" (emphasis added), which contact has been denied by Emanuel's office. In McCain-speak this becomes "He settled on a chief of staff!"

Reminiscent of earlier this week when McCain claimed that Obama had written his inaugural address. Actually, an aide had written a hypothetical address for a generic Democratic candidate before he was even working for the Obama campaign.

And when the Washington Post accuses a candidate of perpetuating a vile smear - well, that's probably as close they'll ever come to publishing the truth - the man is a habitual liar.

3 comments:

DJG said...

I don't know how much stock one should put into this "Rolling Stone" article, but it certainly backs up your conclusion.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/23316912/makebelieve_maverick/print

Recently, he said the Obama was not a commander in chief, but rather a "redistributionist in chief". With that type of witty pun making I can't believe he never thought about a career as a comic.

Regulus said...

The WaHoPo's duty was to lie for Bush for years, so my expectations for them are low.

How are you doing? Hope all is well. I'll be so glad when the election is over. Too bad you're not in D.C. -- my friends and I are trying to find a place to go on Tuesday night that won't be too crowded to watch the election returns. It may end up being everyone's least favorite but conveniently located Larry's Lounge.

BTM said...

ZJ-

Weird, that link took me to what looked like the first page of a long article, but when I clicked on next, it just took me to a bunch comments.

Reg-

I'm well, thanks for asking. I would love to hang out even at Larry's. I'll probably just chill by myself at home and watch the returns come in.