Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fire Joe the Somebody

ZJ beat to the punch on this one. My first though on hearing about FJM's demise was that I (and maybe some friends) could fill the void pretty easily. Not that I could hope to be half as funny as those guys, but I'd probably be just as good as ripping holes in terrible sports journalism. Of course my first though was to try to get firejoebuck.com, but it looks like I was little slow on the draw again. It also looks like firejoebuck.blogspot.com is taken, but not really being used for anything. What a pity. I bet either of those would generate a decent amount of traffic. I thought about focusing on Chicago sports, but with Marrioti gone from the Sun-Times, Rosenbloom is the biggest hack in town, and I'm not sure many people know who he is. Oh well, I'll think about it.

While I'm talking sports, Phil Rogers in the Tribune has this nugget:

Free agents Raul Ibanez and Bobby Abreu have been mentioned, but don't be surprised if Hendry instead adds a lesser hitter with more flexibility, such as the Kansas City Royals' Mark Teahen...

DeJesus would not be moved cheaply, but sources hinted the Cubs could get the 27-year-old Teahen for a package built around either Felix Pie or one of two young infielders, Mike Fontenot and Ronny Cedeno.

More flexibility? Are we talking ability to touch his toes, or willingness to ride the bench for long periods of time? Hopefully it's the later, because this guy's numbers look even worse than Fukudome's. Pie and Cedeno I can live without, but Fontenot had a .911 OPS last year. Admittedly he platooned and only had about 280 PAs, but his OPS wasn't that much worse against lefties (.893, very small sample size, though) and actually his OBP was a little better. Teahen had a .715 OPS last year (with a whopping .313 OBP) and struck out almost three times for every walk he drew. I swear, if Hendry moves Fontenot (packaged or otherwise) for Teahen, I'm quitting the Cubs.

3 comments:

DJG said...

We should seriously get this going. Though I suggest we extend it to stupidity in sports in general (bad coaching decisions, wrong calls by officials, etc.) not just to columnists and announcers. I was thinking of writing an entry on my blog about the awful clock management in the Cleveland/Buffalo MNF game anyway.

I'm not sure about a name. Maybe firejoeshmorgan, and our tagline could be "just like firejoemorgan, only not funny."

DJG said...

I managed to catch the end of one of the least consequently college games of the 21st century -- the 2008 Apple Cup, featuring 0 win University of Washington and 1 win Washington State University. With the game tied in overtime a picture from the first Apple Cup was shown with a caption indicating the game ended in a 5-5 tie. The commentators then had the following paraphrased exchange.

Commentator 1: Well, this game certainly will not end in a tie. Modern college football rules do not allow for ties.
Commentator 2: Maybe somebody should tell this to Donovan McNabb!
Both Commentators: Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

I am not exactly sure how knowing a college football game cannot end in a tie would have helped Donovan McNabb in his professional football game last Sunday which ultimately did end in a tie. The joke made me laugh, but probably not in the way the commentator intended.

Regulus said...

I didn't understand a single word in this post. Is it cause or effect that during gym in junior high and high school, I always ended up on a team by default -- last one not selected. Boo.