Friday, July 18, 2008

Unretirement

David Haugh writes the unthinkable. Jim Edmonds's performance as a Cub has already been more than enough to heal my mental scars, but this is another league altogether. I say nothing short of a Superbowl ring is worth seeing Favre wear the orange and blue. And I don't think the Bears are anything more than a 1 in 12 shot even with the Favre of last season (remember he was in a precipitous two-year decline before last year's renaissance). And Haugh's just lost it when he proposes giving up a first-rounder plus:

Look at it this way: If Favre makes the Bears as good as they could be with him, their draft choice will be later in the first round anyway. If the Bears keep the pick to avoid the Favre sweepstakes and finish under .500 again—which many people outside Halas Hall expect—then they will strongly consider using it on a quarterback anyway with Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton both signed to short-term deals.

Presumably that first-round quarterback would have a career expectancy of longer than one year starting in 2009. (OK, with Angelo picking, maybe it's a close call.)

Anyway, I think the best (and probably most likely) scenario for the Bears is that Packers "come to their senses", Favre starts for them this year, reverts back to his 2007 form, and delays the development of Rodgers for one more year.


4 comments:

krzysztof said...

OK I can't really comment on this particular entry as you pretty much summarized everything that's been on my mind concerning the subject (and much more for that matter). Just wanted to wish you all the best with the blog and otherwise.

Will be visiting here

John said...

Stoked that you'll be writing about this kind of stuff, and, uh, other kinds of stuff.
Anyway, I have a slightly different take on the Favre thing, though, for the record, I really don't see it ever happening. I would enjoy it for two less-than-noble reasons: 1) the upset it would cause Packers fans and 2) how strange and interesting it would be. I don't see it giving us more than 9 wins, but who knows- we should have a better o line this year (one of our biggest weaknesses, if you ask me), and I'm intrigued and guardedly optimistic about the Kevin Jones Experiment. Granted, we do not have what anyone would call "An Elite Corps Of Receivers," so I don't know what all Favre would give us. But for the historical oddity and damage to Packerdom, I'd be for it. (I also don't care much about getting a high draft pick, which seems like almost a liability in the NFL, and not much a predictor of a good outcome.)

DJG said...

It would be pretty funny to see him play for a rival of Green Bay, but I don't think there is anyway the Packers let that happen, and even if they did, if I were the Bears, I wouldn't give up too much for him. He's an old-ass quarterback who I could see sucking next year if he plays. Sure, he might be have another year like last year in him (in which he still threw 15 INTs, I might add, so it's not like he's Tom Brady), but I wouldn't bet too much on it.

BTM said...

Ha, solipsist Chicagoan that I am, I didn't even consider that this would have any effect on the Packer-backers. Excellent point.