Monday, August 11, 2008

The Sporting News

Before the Cubs swept the Brewers I was ready to call the Central for Milwaukee, so you may not want to take my opinions seriously. However, my assessment of the State of the Cubs follows.

Obviously, no major complaints about the starting pitching.

My concerns about the bullpen can be stated in two words: "Bob Howry". If the Cubs were playing anyone but the Cards (or Brewers) on Friday night I honestly would have been rooting for him to blow yet another game, so maybe Lou would start to consider not using him when the game is on the line. I just don't understand the confidence in a mediocre career reliever. He's got a stellar K/BB ratio, but does that really matter when half the balls going into play are making it to at least to warning track. The Cubs have four solid relievers (assuming Wood's healthy) and that should be more than enough, but why do I have this sinking feeling that Howry's going to be trotting out in the seventh inning of Game 1 in the NLDS with the Cubs up 3-2?

I'm more worried about the offense. We've got a right fielder who can't hit and a first baseman who has hit four home runs since May 29th, is slugging .475 for the season despite a hot start, and seems to always be good for a ground ball with men on base. Moving DeRosa to RF, Fontenot to 2B and benching Fukudome seems like the right move to me, but I doubt it will happen.

Remember how the 2000 White Sox put up runs in bunches all year and hit a wall during the ALDS?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One day I am going to get into sports and I hope that all of this will make sense to me. First thing: I am glad to learn that there is no cup and instead there is this so called world series (which only includes teams from US) ¡strange!

Unknown said...

Even stranger, Fanny, the U.S. doesn't send its top players to the Olympics.