Friday, August 22, 2008

BS Bears

I sure hope the Bears' D was playing the third game of the preseason like it was bullshit. But that's probably bullshit. On the other hand, I hope the 49ers' D was playing like it wasn't bullshit. But that may not be bullshit.

Orton undeniably put up great numbers, mostly because he had all day to throw to receivers that were wide open. Of course, the facts that the line gave him all day and that the receivers got wide open were encouraging. We'll see what happens in a real game, I suppose.

On the other hand, it's hard to comprehend how the dominant D of '05 and '06 (differing by only two starters, I believe) has become such a joke. I'm having nightmares of Adrian Peterson (V) passing out in the late fourth quarter against the Bears after having run one too many 80-yard dashes down the middle of the field.

1 comment:

John said...

I've been feeling uncomfortable with our defense ever since late in the '06 season. It was pretty clear that we were going to have a hard time stopping the run against any team that has any kind of balanced offensive attack. Ever since the embarassment against Pittsburgh that season, I've lacked faith in this defense, which has only become older and less deep. I think Tank's influence on the line was a bit underrated, as well, but I don't really know.
It's gonna be a long, long season.