Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Lesson Learned

Okay, I don't really want to turn this into purely a sports blog; I promise I'll post about something meaningful eventually. But I have to say that was encouraging.

I admit I watched the Bears' third preseason game. I can't remember the last time I watched preseason anything (if ever), but living alone in Northfield and jonesing for some football will do strange things to a man. It affected my assessment of the Bears' prospects a tad too much. Why would guys whose starting jobs are safe not sandbag and risk injury? I retract my statement that a five-win season wouldn't surprise me

Now, I accept all the caveats. Gimpy Manning missed a half-dozen throws that healthy Manning would have nailed. Clark and Saturday were out. In the broader view, the defense still looks overly injury-prone and the safety position in particular is a huge concern (yeah, it would be great to have Chris Harris rather than whomever we got with that fifth-rounder). But this was still a convincing win against a quality opponent on the road. 

Also, it was nice to see the D stepping up big twice after getting completely boned by the officiating crew. 




1 comment:

DJG said...

The 2005 Bears were a lot like the 2006 Seahawks (both division winners ousted in the playoffs), while the 2006 Bears were a lot like the 2005 Seahawks (both Superbowl losers).

This year, the Bears look like a playoff team while the Seahawks look like a team with a completely inept offense, and a questionable D.

Is the switch on again? I say yes. And if I've learned anything about the NFL it is that it is completely predictable, so you can take my word on this to the bank.