Friday, September 26, 2008

Debate

Well, I guess a relatively uneventful debate is good for the guy who's solidly leading in the polls. Obama looked alright overall. I think he should have brought Iraq up first and foremost in the budget cutting question, and missed an easy point on the Ahmadinejad question: How would putting preconditions on a meeting remove the purported legitimizing effect of meeting with Ahmadinejad? I'm assuming "preconditions" here means something like allowing in inspectors, or suspending nuclear activities and not repudiating statements about Israel*. McCain did manage to make himself look pretty ridiculous with his repeated bleating of "How can we sit across a table...", and condescending with his "Senator Obama doesn't understand..." remarks.

*I suppose calling McCain on the mistranslations of Ahmadinejad's comments would have backfired.

4 comments:

Regulus said...

"Ahmadinejad"

I didn't really watch this debate. I just want this race to be over. I can't see how Obama can lose, but on the other hand, I don't see how America will do the right thing and elect him. That is, I'm guessing it will do the wrong thing 'cuz that's what our country does best.

As for Iraq, I think the bottom line is that a sizable majority of the public, while glad the surge "worked" in a certain operational sense and the carnage in that country has been dramatically reduced, still (1) views the war as a mistake, and (2) wants the U.S. to get out. In that sense, McCain can never "own" Iraq because his underlying assumptions -- we were right to go in there and should say indefinitely -- are not supported by the public.

I didn't realize you were looking for a new job (based on your reply to my comment a few entries back).

DJG said...

I definitely think Obama came off as much better equipped to handle the presidency.

The main knock I heard against Obama from the talking heads is that he doesn't bring a "passion and fire" to the race like McCain. But really this should be a knock against McCain. Not only is he wrong, he's vehemently wrong.

Regulus said...

I think James Fallows' assessment of the debate in an online Atlantic column is worth a read. He explains why he thinks Obama "made the case" the American public like JFK in 1960, Reagan in 1980, and Clinton in 1992 in each of their first debates.

BTM said...

Yeah, Fallows is perspicacious as usual.

I agree with your sentiment about wanting the race to be over. At this point I think McCain has to hope for either a) some sort of hugely favorable October surprise, or b) that the Bradley effect is actually extant to the tune of at least 4 or 5 points, especially given Obama's structural Electoral College advantages.

I'm pretty doubtful of b.